Data Science Manager
Kalepa is a rapidly growing, well-financed Series A start-up re-imagining the trillion-dollar commercial insurance industry.
Our cross-functional teams leverage AI, cutting-edge tech and tons of data to deliver the right insurance coverage at the right price for every business.
We call this Efficient Frontier insurance. It’s the way insurance should work.
What we are looking for :
We are looking for an exceptional Data Science Manager to lead a team of data scientists and machine learning engineers in building Copilot, Kalepa’s flagship software platform, and leading Kalepa’s data science efforts.
We are looking for a deeply technical leader with significant experience in data science and machine learning who is excited to be hands-on and a player-coach’.
The candidate will be responsible for setting strategy, for leading the team to deliver results consistently, for growing and developing talented data scientists and machine learning engineers, and for cultivating a results-driven high-performance culture.
Experience in backend software engineering or machine learning ops in addition to deep data science experience is a strong plus.
Kalepa’s team members bring experience from top technology, insurance, and intelligence institutions including Facebook, Google, Amazon, Uber, Doordash, Mastercard, Chubb, AIG, Zurich, Everest Insurance, MIT, Berkeley, UPenn, the University of Warsaw, and the Israel Defense Forces.
Kalepa is backed by IA Ventures (early investors in Datadog, Wise, Better, Digital Ocean, TheTradeDesk, Flatiron Health, Komodo Health, etc.
Former Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker’s Inspired Capital, and leaders in financial services and technology including Gokul Rajaram from Doordash, Coinbase, and Square, Jackie Reses from Square, Affirm, and Alibaba, and Henry Ward from Carta.
In July 2021 we raised a $14 million Series A funding round led by Inspired Capital, with participation from previous investor IA Ventures.
You’ll be right at home if you :
- Have a 7+ years of relevant data science and machine learning experience with at least 2 years of a full-time engineering or data science people management experience.
- Have experience in NLP and classical machine learning (decision trees, multivariate and logistic regression, kNN, etc.).
Deep learning experience a plus.
- Have deep knowledge of various machine learning techniques and key parameters that affect their performance.
- Have a depth and breadth of quantitative knowledge and statistical skills.
- Have experience managing complex projects that touch multiple teams and cross-functional partners.
- Have past success hiring talented data scientists or engineers at different levels
- Have the ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship high-quality code while working with the constraints of a fast-growing company.
- Have strong development and system design skills.
- Strong backend engineering and / or machine learning ops skills are a big plus.
- Possess a bachelors or master’s degree in a quantitative field.
What you’ll get :
- Competitive salary (based on experience level).
- Significant equity options package.
- Work with an ambitious, smart, global, and fun team to transform a $1T global industry.
- Ground floor opportunity an early member of Kalepa’s engineering leadership team
- 20 days of PTO a year.
- Global team offsites.
- Luxmed private health insurance covered by Kalepa for individuals and families.
- Healthy living / gym stipend. Mobile …….